Where is best to put a Security Deposit on the Balance Sheet?

Question asked by David Foster 4 years ago

We're moving premises soon and have to put up a big deposit against potential damage etc when we move out. (Previously they were small and I simply expensed these through P&L, but it's much bigger and needs to go on the Balance Sheet this time). My accountant says this should be recorded as a "current asset" or "prepayment", but I can't find anything close as a standard code in ClearBooks. Any views on where it should go? Should I just create a new code under "other debtors" (7503) or "Inventory" (7504) or even "cash" 7502?

1 Reply

Hi David,

I would recommend creating a new account code "Prepayments" and assigning it is a "Current asset".

This can be done by heading to Setting > Accounting > Account codes, in the top left area of the screen you should find the "Create account code" option. Fill in the following form as required, then save it.

Thanks, Theo

Reply to this question

Attach images by dragging and dropping or upload

Your comments will be public and can be answered by anyone in the Clear Books community.

Find out what we do and who we are